So this is not guaranteed to work, but worth exploring. Give the following
a shot:
$ sudo alsa force-reload

But if that does not work. Try running:

$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install --fix-missing
$ sudo alsa force-reload
$ sudo reboot

I've seen mention of this multiple times, but always for Ubuntu it seems.
So maybe it'll cure your problems, maybe it won't.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CALHSORrN0V6i9%2BH2LwAuuJ%2BUR-UAgmAXD5ryLctcw%3DF1s78Knw%40mail.gmail.com.