Anyway, my idea was something like this. In the past I've written a couple
different applications that have directly accessed peripherals registers
through mmap() + /dev/mem/. So I would imagine( again no hands on here )
accessing the PRU's memory directly from user space Linux could be
potentially as simple. Now whether or not the scratchpad areas could be
access the same way from user space Linux, I'm not sure. I am also not even
sure if that would be important. However, since a user space C application
is used to load the PRU's executable binary in the first place. Not much of
a stretch to imagine one could, or should be able to access all of the
PRU's periphery. I could be wrong I suppose.

But the point is really this. If you need to get data out of the PRU's into
userland Linux as quickly as possible. Maybe the way to pull that data ot
of the PRU's memory is from the ARM(Linux ) side of things ?

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CALHSORqmQva6AwqeT8mN0n5iE9c0B4Zqa7mZc2y5kJVv_WFPxw%40mail.gmail.com.