> I was able to mount the card without knowing the type, apparently mount is
> smart enough to determine on its own. Does this mean that despite this
> capability, each /etc/fstab entry requires full type&option specification?

Yet, you specified the partition number.

>> /uEnv.txt is just for backwards compatibility with older eMMC images.
>

> This confused me (the image on the SD card is a new version, how can
> backwards compatibility be needed?) Not arguing, as you certainly are
> correct. Can a system running an older version from eMMC be used to boot
> from the SD card, requiring a read of the older format uEnv.txt? I'm just
> grasping for an explanation with this.

Well, the am335x bootrom reads the eMMC first on poweron. Thus for
older versions of U-Boot in eMMC, the backwards compatibility is
needed.

>> > 3) If I understand correctly there is another FAT volume on the eMMC as
>> > shipped, that is seen as a remote (FAT?) volume when the BBB is
>> > connected as
>> > a USB client. Is there any way to mount that for access from the bone
>> > directly?
>>
>> It's a raw image file, /var/local/*.img
>>
> Thanks for this (partial) answer (not sarcasm here). It required that I do
> some research to fully understand your response, so I learned even more. I
> had assumed it was a separate partition on the SD card, exposed by the USB
> client.

It use to be it's own partition, but this led to other user issues, so
it was moved to an *.img file.  That file is also maintained by an apt
package, so updates can be pushed.

> Now I see that there is only one partition on the SD card, and these
> "file systems" presented by the USB interface are just image files, which
> themselves can be mounted (if you know the magic, i.e. starting sector). I
> never tried to modify this content when accessed through USB - I didn't
> realize it is read-only. (please correct me if any of this is wrong)

or just use losetup/kpartk:

#find free loop device
sudo losetup -f
/dev/loop0

sudo losetup /dev/loop0 beaglebone-getting-started-2017-01-25.img
sudo kpartx -av /dev/loop0

sudo mkdir disk
sudo mount /dev/mapper/loop0p1 disk/

cd disk/
ls -lh
total 90K
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 2.0K Feb 14 15:50 App
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  288 Feb 14 15:50 autorun.inf
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 2.0K Feb 14 15:50 Docs
drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 2.0K Feb 14 15:50 Drivers
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  41K Feb 14 15:50 LICENSE.txt
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  17K Feb 14 15:50 README.htm
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  428 Feb 14 15:50 README.md
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 2.0K Feb 14 15:50 scripts
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  17K Feb 14 15:50 START.htm

Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CAOCHtYh-unngZ4JpB5MQnF8d2xutAv8AvhKpsiBsdL73VD5ttA%40mail.gmail.com.