On Tuesday, February 14, 2017 at 1:55:16 PM UTC-8, RobertCNelson wrote:

> > I was able to mount the card without knowing the type, apparently mount
> is
> > smart enough to determine on its own. Does this mean that despite this
> > capability, each /etc/fstab entry requires full type&option
> specification?
>
> Yet, you specified the partition number.
>
> Ugh. Yes, I did. Point being (point taken) that partitioning on the SD
card is unknowable, so no way to auto-mount the SD card. I suppose the
first partition could be auto-mounted, but that may or may not be what is
desired, so best to do nothing. Sorry I missed that obvious issue...

> >> /uEnv.txt is just for backwards compatibility with older eMMC images.
> >

> > This confused me (the image on the SD card is a new version, how can
> > backwards compatibility be needed?) Not arguing, as you certainly are
> > correct. Can a system running an older version from eMMC be used to boot
> > from the SD card, requiring a read of the older format uEnv.txt? I'm
> just
> > grasping for an explanation with this.
>
> Well, the am335x bootrom reads the eMMC first on poweron. Thus for
> older versions of U-Boot in eMMC, the backwards compatibility is
> needed.
>
> Does that mean that it's not possible to boot a bone from SD card if there
is no uboot in eMMC? Or is eMMC uboot needed to provide logic that
overrides the bootrom search order, bypassing valid boot code that is found
before reaching the SD card?

> as
> >>
> >> It's a raw image file, /var/local/*.img
> >>
> > Thanks for this (partial) answer (not sarcasm here). It required that I
> do
> > some research to fully understand your response, so I learned even more.
> > had assumed it was a separate partition on the SD card, exposed by the
> USB
> > client.
>
> It use to be it's own partition, but this led to other user issues, so
> it was moved to an *.img file.  That file is also maintained by an apt
> package, so updates can be pushed.

Clever - particularly being able to push updates.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/6520eaee-cc45-475f-8f1b-ae6909ee118a%40googlegroups.com.