rtl_usb is buggy. The fact anything that depends on it works, e.g.
rtl8192cu, is nothing more than a fluke. And there's no point fixing it
because it's being replaced by rtl8xxxu.
You could try blacklisting rtl8192cu so rtl8xxxu is loaded. It was a very
new driver back in kernel 4.4 but may work well enough although you may
still
have problems with connection dropping out. There was a bug in rtl8xxxu
that only affected certain chipsets that existed up till around December
2016
when I reported the cause to the maintainer.

For any realtek usb wifi dongles, if a person is up to the task,  I
recommend blacklisting the in-kernel drivers, compiling and using the
original realtek supplied driver instead.

Even with rtl8xxxu, you won't get as good as performance as the original
realtek driver and without documentation for the chipsets I can't see that
changing anytime soon.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/c6e4daf5-966b-414d-bcdd-7b9a2113e99c%40googlegroups.com.