Looking at the schematic for the Blue, "https://github.com/beagleboard/beaglebone-blue/blob/master/BeagleBone_Blue_sch.pdf";, 1st page upper right hand corner, there is a "2S Lithium Balancer and Protection" circuit. This uses a BQ29209 chip. The "Electrical Characteristics" for this device, "http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/bq29209.pdf";, give maximum values but the device is based on 2S not 3S LiPo's. Using a 3S or 6S might invalidate the warranty.

The barrel connector and LiPo battery both connect to a AP1509 5VREG, there are diodes protecting against reverse current flow. 12VDC feed from the barrel jack basically shuts off current flow from the ~7.4 VDC battery into the AP1509 while without the 12VDC feed, the LiPo battery will feed the AP1509. You can have one or the other or both sources, these do not affect the 2S balancer.
Chad