No, prior to uboot overlays, overlays were loaded from the initrd, at best.
Also we need to understand that the board file(also an overlay of sorts -
but required )is seperate from all this discussion.

 I do not understand why you would have "field people" playing around with
hardware overlays though. Once your hardware is finalized, it should never
change. Which is one small reason why I personally find Universal IO
unnecessary for my own purposes.

The problem I've seen with explanations, and documentation on device tree,
is that no one explains it really well. Additionally, as a new player into
device tree overlays. Its not clear where to get information from. See, you
need to understand the pin-ctrl subsystem, gpio subsystem . . . list goes
one, and on . . .A lot of this information has to be found from the Linux
kernel source documentation.HOWEVER, you do not necessarily need to
memorize all of this. We ( programmers ) just need a reference that does
not goes on, and on for days about silly details we do not need to know to
get our jobs done. Nothing like this exists.

Anyway, in order to learn, you need to "do".

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/CALHSORp%3DXhCftd6%3D5CyxbM3oa7wRo4rPpEV28OZ%3DBWUXcDXQXQ%40mail.gmail.com.