I was on the IRC a little while ago and was told to modify the
am335x-boneblack-uboot.dtb file instead as these newer releases are Uboot
releases.
Doing so actually solved my issue of not being able to change the i2c
frequency of i2c-2.

Big shout out to zmatt for the help!

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/2edb8939-5a19-47b9-8e1a-2cf6f5ed0d64%40googlegroups.com.