The 169.x.x.x address on the BB I believe is just the default address when
it can not connect to anything.  You could set it to something else
manually.

For internet access, you need to configure the routing so the BB will
connect to the internet through the host ethernet port.

I'm not sure what is causing the issue on the Ubuntu system since I do not
use that tool.

Jon