On 11/02/2021 22:53, kuba....@gmail.com wrote:
> Regarding importer development on v2, if I was to make changes to
> csv.py, will the changes be migrated from the v2 branch into beangulp?
>
> I'm still unsure of how to use beangulp and I would like to make changes
> to the importers so will I need to port the changes over myself once I
> familiarise myself with the new world?

Hello Kuba,

currently the v2 codebase is in maintenance mode: only bug fixes and
changes that can be trivially merged into v3 are likely to be accepted.
This disqualifies most changes to the ingestion framework that are not
fixes for bugs affecting users.

Also, if anything, I expect the CSV importer in beangulp to become
simpler, and not to gain new features. It was intended as an example to
demonstrate how to write an importer and grow into something with a know
for every aspect, and it deviated from its original scope.

However, if you have some improvements in mind, we can discuss them case
by case. Please feel free to send PRs for beangulp.

So far, the only thing that changed in bengulp is the command line
interface, thus all existing importers can be easily migrated to it by
simply fixing the imports.

Installing beangulp should be easy:

$ python -m venv gulp
$ cd gulp
$ ./bin/pip install git+https://github.com/beancount/beancount/
$ ./bin/pip install git+https://github.com/beancount/beangulp/

or

$ git checkout https://github.com/beancount/beangulp/
$ cd beangulp
$ python -m venv .
$ ./bin/pip install git+https://github.com/beancount/beancount/
$ ./bin/python setup.py develop

if you want to hack on the code, or similar incantations.

Cheers,
Dan