On 06/09/2021 18:11, kuba....@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a question about beangulp. I've noticed that compared to
> beancount.ingest, beangulp now produces more logging when doing an
> extract so I wanted to question why it's there.

> I see that the information logging is output on stderr so I can redirect
> it to /dev/null however I would like to know how everyone else is using
> beangulp and whether this change of behaviour is only affecting me or
> other too.

You answered your own question.

The tool is supposed to be used redirecting only the standard output to
a ledger while the standard error is used for status messages. This is
standard practice in Unix tools.

Also, when the extract command encounters an exception raised by one of
the importers, it dumps it on standard error, continues execution, but
exists with an error. If you are looking into integrating beangulp into
your pipeline, most probably you want to handle this explicitly.

> Actually even the beancount mode header also is superfluous in almost
> all of my cases but that is also being produced beancount.ingest.

You can customize the header assigning to beangulp.extract.HEADER

Cheers,
Dan