Dan,

OK, thanks. But just some clarification.

If I look at the following  simple Transaction:

2000-01-02 * "Buying something in Euro"
    Assets:NL:ING:Payment               -100 EUR
    Expenses:Misc                                100 EUR

Then does it have position or not?

In Python after loading in beancount it looks like this

Transaction(meta={'filename':
'C:\\_code\\py\\mybean\\experiments\\simpleSimulation\\simpleSimulation.bean',

                  'lineno': 30,
                  '__tolerances__': {}},
            date=datetime.date(2000, 1, 2),
            flag='*',
            payee=None,
            narration='Buying something in Euro',
            tags=frozenset(),
            links=frozenset(),
            postings=[Posting(    account='Assets:NL:ING:Payment',
                                units=-100 EUR,
                                cost=None,
                                price=None,
                                flag=None,
                                meta={    'filename':
'C:\\_code\\py\\mybean\\experiments\\simpleSimulation\\simpleSimulation.bean',

                                        'lineno': 31}),
                     Posting(    account='Expenses:Misc',
                                units=100 EUR,
                                cost=None,
                                price=None,
                                flag=None,
                                meta={    'filename':
'C:\\_code\\py\\mybean\\experiments\\simpleSimulation\\simpleSimulation.bean',

                                        'lineno': 32})])

I can see *tarnsaction, postings*, *units*, but I do not see a *position*

However if I use beanquery, then beanquery does see the position:

beancount> select date, narration, position

   date            account                        narration
 position
---------- ----------------------- ---------------------------------------
------------
2000-01-02 Assets:NL:ING:Payment   Buying something in Euro
-100    EUR
2000-01-02 Expenses:Misc           Buying something in Euro
 100    EUR

So, the position here is   100    EUR,  however in Python data structure,
it does not have a cost, which is, per your definition, is not a position.

So, once again, what is the definition of a *position *then?

On Friday, February 3, 2023 at 9:45:38 PM UTC+1 dan...@grinta.net wrote:
On 03/02/23 21:14, Chary Chary wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> can somebody explain please in simple terms what is the meaning of
> *inventory *and *position *in the situation, when no investment is
> involved and when I only track expenses and incomes in different
currencies?

> I understand what is *transaction *and *posting*,  but for instance the
> description in the help of *beanquery *still remains cryptic for me

An Amount is a number with attached a currency (also referred sometimes
as commodity).

A Position is an Amount with attached a Cost specification.

A Posting associated an Amount and an optinal Cost ton an Account.

An Inventory is a container for Positions. When you sum Positions (or
Amounts) not necessarily all of them are in the same currency /
commodity or have the same Cost associated.

I would have guessed that this is explained somewhere in the Beancount
documentation, but I would not be able to pinpoint where now.

Cheers,
Dan