Hi,

I'm taking up beancount again after some 2 years away from it. My biggest
difficulty had then been importing bank and brokers' statements to
beancount. I was getting the best results with (modified) reds_importers +
smart_importer, which came to work reasonably well. But I'm realizing that
retaking from where I left off will not be as simple as I wished.

I'm getting the error in the subject line. I suppose this error was
introduced for two reasons (please confirm):

1) Martin, at some point, agreed to include, not only date, but also time
of transactions, according to requests from users interested in daytrading
(which I am too, and welcomed his decision). Martin didn't see then any
reason why this would cause inconsistencies in beancount. I don't remember
it causing any issues with reds_importers, fava, smart_importer either.

2) Some later python release made the comparison between datetime.date and
datetime.datetime incompatible. This comparison is needed in the
chronological ordering of transactions.

I first got this error in reds_importers and think I managed to fix it by
making the simple change in ofxreader.py:

from:

            date = max(ot.tradeDate if hasattr(ot, 'tradeDate') else ot.date
                       for ot in self.get_transactions()).date()

to:

            date = max(ot.tradeDate if hasattr(ot, 'tradeDate') else ot.date
                       for ot in self.get_transactions())     #.date()

But then I started getting the same error message from smart_importer,
which makes me think I should be better to avoid the python version update
that made date and datetime incomparable.

Any suggestions? Which python version is the latest that doesn't cause this
kind of error? Has anyone else encountered these issues? I searched the
forum and the internet and didn't find anything.

Thanks

Marcio