The funny thing is that the error message actually disappeared (from
reds_importers modules) after I made the change (and re-emerged in
smart_importer modules). I thought: if instead of a date, I input a
datetime in the beancount file, python won't complain anymore, since it
will be comparing datetime to datetime now. I am by no means a developer or
hacker and that was just a guess.

Yes, it’s actually a common pattern for the wrong fix to seemingly make an
error message disappear, but in reality, the true issue gets suppressed,
only to manifest elsewhere.

I'll try to update to the unreleased version, as you suggest below and see
if the issue gets solved. Do you mean the latest unreleased version of
beancount (v.2) or beancount_reds_importers? Could you point me to how to
install an unreleased version? Is it the pip install +git... method?

beancount_reds_importers. From README
<https://github.com/redstreet/beancount_reds_importers>:
pip3 install git+https://github.com/redstreet/beancount_reds_importers
​