I confirm, that on Windows everything just works with the version 3.0.0.

py -3.12 -m pip install beancount

It then installs from wheel

Also installing the latest and greatest version from github works the "old
school way":

git clone https://github.com/beancount/beancount.git
cd beancount
beancount>py -3.12 setup.py build_ext -i

And then setup the PYTHONPATH