On Saturday 02 June 2001  6:15 am, you wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just finished taking a 2 day training class on Perl and would like to
> learn more about the language. Is there a book that you all swear by
>that helped you figure out the impossible?
>
> Much appreciated.
>
> Hager

I would suggest you buy "The Perl CD Bookshelf" from O'Reilly. You get
the "Perl in a Nutshell" book which is a good reference to a lot of Perl
stuff, and a CD that includes in searchable HTML format:
"Perl in a Nutshell" (yes, you get it twice!)
"Programming Perl, 2nd Edition"
"Perl Cookbook" - handy recipies
"Advanced Perl Programming"
"Learning Perl, 2nd Edition"
"Learning Perl on Win32 Systems" - exactly like the above title but
geared for Win32

In the UK this book costs about £42, the US price is $59.95. That means
you get each book at $10/£7 a piece! Value for money or what?

I also have a couple more O'Reilly books that deal with more specific
parts of Perl e.g. "Programming the Perl DBI". Oh, and you should buy
(if you want to do CGI) "Official Guide to Programming with CGI.pm" by
Lincoln Stein (the creator of CGI.pm) - it covers a lot more than on his
web page or in the CGI.pm documentation and should be considered
an essential purchase if you are serious about CGI.

Of course you should check these books and others first before buying,
you might find a better book or one that is written in a way you prefer.

Happy Perling,

Geraint.

Disclaimer: I do not work for O'Reilly or a bookstore etc. I'm just a
simple Computer Technician.