Actually, I've used make for all sorts of stuff without a C compiler.  It's
amazing what you can automate.  Actually, I've even used it as the backbone
for a QnD (Quick'n'Dirty) system security monitoring package before.  I've
also used it for automated publication of web pages based on changes to
database or document files.  That technique saved us a lot of overhead
compared to dynamic, real-time CGI page generation.

I suspected it needed a compiler, though (despite the fact that I don't see
any .c or .o files in the directories).  I tried to go to PPM, but it keeps
telling me the page is unavailable.

I'm still interested in a make utility, though.  I used to have a source
code version of one (mostly in PC assembler), but it vanished during one of
my moves.  I hate when the vagaries of meatspace intrude upon my
consciousness ;)