Since the text file was a tabulated text file, able to (and preferred to) be
opened in MS Excel, I set the content type to:

application/vnd.ms-excel

And she runs like a dream! =)

# example $ENV{PATH_INFO} =
#  '/cgi-bin/download.cgi/cgi-bin/bill/questionnairedata1.txt'

$file = $ENV{PATH_INFO};

@pathitems = split("/",$file); #gets rid of preceding dirs.
shift(@pathitems);
shift(@pathitems);
shift(@pathitems);
$file = join("/",@pathitems);

open(OUT,"$file");
print "Content-Type: application/vnd.ms-excel\n\n";
while(<OUT>){
  print $_;
}
close(OUT);