Unless there is some way to ZIP the file just before sending, it would be
impractical for my particular situation Stephan.  The files are updated and
written to constantly on the server by the users who 'own them' so to speak.
They are data files that are used by doctorate students for questionnaire
analysis (tabulated text), but the problem is most doctorate students I've
talked to don't know how to open Word 2 days in a row, much less unzipping
something =).  It's good to be able to let them download it straight to a
floppy and start using it straight away in SPSS, or whatever statistical
analysis program they are using.

It's a good idea for most other sites, and I'd love to know if there is a
way of pre-zipping something for download on the fly.

-Shannon