At 02:27 PM 1/3/02 -0600, Jeremy Webster wrote:
>If you must use perl, one thing you might try (although it's not a perfect
>solution) is obfuscation.

Jeremy,

You reminded me of something I once ran into. When setting up the backend
for a website a couple of years ago one of the things the owners had me do
was install something in Perl but not under GPL. All the variable names
were written in an ascii binary code, e.g. instead of saying

my ($name, $value) = split /=/,$namevalue;

the code would say

my ($110100010101101110100111, $111010011111010001010110) = split
/=/,$011111010011101001010110;

It was pretty obnoxious and did the trick. I wouldn't want to try and hack
at that thing w/o first writing something to map all those identifiers into
something legible. I mean it just added that extra layer... you could
certainly do it but you'd have to really want to. Wish I could remember the
name of the product.

Marty

Website Creation Made SIMPL(tm)
http://face2interface.com/Home/Demo.shtml