Alex Read wrote:

> I have an html page that when I press the submit button the cgi script
> runs a shell script. I am having trouble because the html page hangs
> until the shell script has finished, i.e. the shell script process is
> not running in the background.  I have tried the following;
>
> system "$my_shell_script &";
> `$my_shell_script &`;
> exec "$my_shell_script ";
> exec "$my_shell_script  &";
>
> none of which work!  The basis of my script is Formmail from Matt's
> script archive (http://www.worldwidemart.com/scripts/) if anyone knows
> it.
> Any suggestions?

gaa!  don't use the scripts from worldwidemart.com.  you can find
drop-in replacements for most all of his code (and the reasons not to
use it) at http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/

as for your problem with perl having to wait for your shell commands, if
you're not running mod_perl, use fork() to execute the commands, which
will enable your .cgi to continue forward without waiting.  for more
information about fork:

perldoc -f fork