Octavian Rasnita wrote at Tue, 04 Jun 2002 08:03:21 +0200:

> Hi all,
>
> I know why I should use "use strict;"   but what happen if I use "use strict;" then
>if the code is
> OK, I delete this line?

use strict has (e.g.) the benefit for checking for undef values.
They can come from the input.
(User typed only enter, the file was empty, didn't exist,
 a library couldn't found, ...)
That's no problem when your code works.
But anytime, anywhen, that will happen.

Without use strict; you will search many months for a simple error.
Why ? An undef value means 0, "", (), {}, empty file in the right context.
That means your script will at a random point recognise that the values
are crazy. So you'll search the error somewhere else where it occurs.

And even with use strict; your program won't really be slower.
(Perhaps 0.1 %, but in the one week you're searching for errors,
 the processors have been become quicker (> 0.1 %)).

Cheerio,
Janek