Probably your web server is timing out the request and killing your
script. Web servers don't like to run long-running processes like
this. Perhaps you can fork off a child and have the child take care
of it.

See http://www.stonehenge.com/merlyn/WebTechniques/col20.html for a
nice technique on this.