On Sun, Sep 29, 2002 at 06:38:16PM +1000, Jimmy George wrote:
> and both refered me to
>
> LIMITED SUPPORT FOR CASCADING STYLE SHEETS
> from
> perldoc CGI
>
> where is that? I am a beginner. On a Mac. With a home page serviced by a
> remote ISP. No Linux contact.

Assuming you're using OS 9, just open up the 'shuck' app in your MacPerl
folder, lookup (cmd-L) 'CGI'. You should get a long manpage on CGI.pm.
Scroll down until you get to the section titled 'LIMITED SUPPORT FOR
CASCADING STYLE SHEETS' (about three-quarters of the way down).

If you're on OS X, just type 'perldoc CGI' at the command line, and hit space
to scroll down a page 'til you get to 'LIMITED SUPPORT...'.

> Todd is using the 'class='divClass' attribute in his line which is
> standard for a bare html page calling a css sheet, but where is the
> class being called from in this case? (My html work uses css sheets
> called from the local folder - not embeded css)
> (And to give you all a good laugh - baud rates of 200bits to 2.4K)

It's calling a CSS class defined _somewhere_, be it in the page (in

A 'style' attribute defines the CSS code itself -- i.e., style="color: red".

> Now - does that mean I can describe a :-
>
> $css_class1 = ('some standard css descriptor text);
>
> and then use it as the opening object in the $q->p(. . .)  statement?

You could do either

print $q->p({-style => $CSS_code}, "Stylin'!");

where $CSS_code is something like 'color: red', or

print $q->p({-class => $CSS_class_name}, "Classy!");

where $CSS_class_name is something like 'myStyle', which could either be defined
in the HTML page itself or in a .css file that's been <link>'d to the page.

> I suppose doing a
>
> print <<TO_THE_END_OF_TEXT
>
> will let me dump a complete page with css inside . .  BUT there must be
> a cleaner way!?

It's the cleanest way to print large amounts of text.

> JimmyG
> @CUDAL

Hope that helps, and hope I didn't totally misunderstand the question,
--
Michael