i agree, it saounds like a mod_perl caching problem. you can find out if you
are running mod_perl or not by running this little script through apache:

#!/usr/bin/perl

print "Content-type: text/html\n\n";

while (($key,$value) = each %ENV) {
        print "$key=$value<br>";
                }

And look for the line saying "Gateway Interface". If it says "CGI/1.1" then
you are using the standard apache-perl interface, but if it says
"CGI-Perl/1.1" then you are running it through mod_perl