On Wed, 25 Dec 2002 19:39:58 +0000, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Philip
Pawley) wrote:

>I'm a newbie, so the below is a question: Is this problem of cgi permissions
>different when you are just running a perl script from a virtual include - as I am?
>
>Reading this thread, I did some tests and changed my script's permissions to 500 and
>it still works fine. (I first did it just for a test script of course)!
>
>I am just an ordinary user (in my own group) on the web server. How is this possible?

You probably have suexec running on the webserver. mode 500 means that
the user can read and execute the script.  Normally the httpd daemon
will be nobody/nogroup, or something similarly underprivileged.
With suexec, you are letting the httpd daemon run as user/users.

I said that it has it's drawbacks. That's why if you do use it for
something important, make a separate user just to run that cgi script.

Here is a little test script to run:
First run it and see what you get, then go and rename
/usr/sbin/suexec to suexec.bak and restart apache. Then
see what you get.

#!/bin/sh
echo "Content-type: text/plain"
echo ""