On 28 Feb 2003 at 05:31, Randal L. Schwartz opined:

RLS:>>>>> "WilliamGunther" == WilliamGunther  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
RLS:
RLS:WilliamGunther> I think Programming Perl is good for learning. There
RLS:WilliamGunther> is a book also called Learning Perl from O'Reilly, but
RLS:WilliamGunther> really I don't feel there is a suitable enough reason
RLS:WilliamGunther> to pay a lot of money for it, especially since you
RLS:WilliamGunther> have Programing Perl already.
RLS:
RLS:There are some who would disagree here. :)
RLS:
RLS:Buy a copy of Learning Perl.  If it's the money you're concerned
RLS:about, borrow a copy, or buy a copy and resell it.  We worked hard to
RLS:design Learning Perl to be the best book to spend your first 30-40
RLS:hours while learning the language, no matter where you will be using
RLS:Perl eventually.

i have to agree with randal here - programming perl is a reference
textbook, and probably isn't the best choice to help you learn how to
write perl programs in a step-by-step fashion.  learning perl, otoh, was
written specifically for this purpose, and toward that end is a much
better resource.

i recently donated my copy of learning perl to my local library, so that
could be another option for you to obtain it without paying (if desired).