Both Microsoft (with ASP.NET) and Apache (with stuts
and java custom tag library) have recognized the
perils of embedding UI code (browser code  like HTML
and Javascript) inside backend/database code (SQL,
perl, Java, C# etc...)

For example, just yesterday I lost several hours
because, in my haste, I accidently put the wrong
comment character in my perl cgi code. I put a "#"
when I should have put a "//" and the IE browser did
not give me any clues as to where the problem was.

Is there anyway seperate the UI layer from the back
end layer when programming cgi perl?

I know there is Perl/ASP.NET, but I could not talk my
client into springing for the $500.

      Siegfried