On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 at 20:09, Richard Heintze opined:

RH:Both Microsoft (with ASP.NET) and Apache (with stuts
RH:and java custom tag library) have recognized the
RH:perils of embedding UI code (browser code  like HTML
RH:and Javascript) inside backend/database code (SQL,
RH:perl, Java, C# etc...)
RH:
RH:For example, just yesterday I lost several hours
RH:because, in my haste, I accidently put the wrong
RH:comment character in my perl cgi code. I put a "#"
RH:when I should have put a "//" and the IE browser did
RH:not give me any clues as to where the problem was.
RH:
RH:Is there anyway seperate the UI layer from the back
RH:end layer when programming cgi perl?

there was a very long thread discussing this subject a year or so ago on
the mod_perl mailing list.  you may want to read it:

personally, i use html::template.  it works well and the html guys aren't
worried about stomping on embedded code.