On Friday, August 1, 2003, at 11:09 PM, Wiggins d'Anconia wrote:

Camilo Gonzalez wrote:
Wiggins d'Anconia wrote:
Scot Robnett wrote:

Is there any way to force Mail::Send to accept a "From" name, as opposed to
simply sending and using the hostname by default? I don't see anything in
the docs about setting the "From" field in the headers.

(of course, I can just open a pipe to sendmail, but I want to see if there's
a way to pull this off first...)

Definitely avoid this if possible, there are numerous mail message modules, one of them is bound to provide what you need.
Why is sendmail held in such low regard by this group?

Sendmail itself most of this group will hold in very high regard, as I do. It is the method by which it is invoked that is not held in high regard. A mail message is a very complex beast, and getting more complex by the day, and most programmers don't know enough about it to construct a message properly, and they shouldn't, why bother when there are so many well designed and properly coded modules available that will do it for you. On top of that sendmail is not necessarily on every system or running on all systems, so by allowing code to use a module it is more likely to be portable to different systems, etc. On top of all of this sendmail itself is incredibly complex and most people do not know how to properly invoke it, etc.

In most cases sendmail probably provides the mechanism for actually transferring the message however the details can be hidden from the programmer by a module, which makes his life much easier. It is this same reasoning why the CGI module should be used rather than parsing an HTTP request directly, parsing query strings or cookies, etc.

Just use the Perl Sendmail module:

http://search.cpan.org/dist/Mail-Sendmail/Sendmail.pm

It will run on any platform. After all, if I can understand it, anybody can.

Gregg Allen

http://danconia.org