Todd W. wrote:

"Camilo Gonzalez" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Definitely avoid this if possible, there are numerous mail message
modules, one of them is bound to provide what you need.

Why is sendmail held in such low regard by this group?

Most on this list will agree sendmail is one of the Internet's first "killer apps". But because interfacing directly with the sendmail binary can be confusing and bug prone there are modules on the CPAN that use sendmail as the transport mechanism. These modules abstract sendmail's intricacies from the user, providing a simple API to send mail. Therefore, modules are the preferred way to send mail from a perl program.

Todd W.

I sometimes wonder if all this shielding of intricacies is necessarly a good thing. Shouldn't I know how to use sendmail? I guess I'm a DIY kind of guy and I want to know how sendmail works. Fine, if a module makes it all easier, I'll certainly use it. But I want to know how the abstraction occurs. What happens if the module I'm using in lieu of sendmail is buggy and I have no idea why or how to circumvent the problem? Do I have control issues?

-- To unsubscribe, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED] For additional commands, e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]