> > This is one of the things CGI::Safe does, it is really just a wrapper
> > around CGI.pm but it allows you to do it without having to edit the
> > source, or to set it in every script, which is actually pretty nice.
>
> Yes, inspection of the CGI::Safe source indeed shows this.  Bottom line,
> I was trying to make a quick and mean little CGI script and didn't want
> need or want to use the entire CGI package.  I now see that CGI::Safe
> calls this module anyway.  Looks like I'm not saving the resources I
> thought I was saving...

What resources are you concerned about?  It appears most of CGI.pm is
autoloaded at first usage, which should help matters of CPU and memory
usage. Just because the package's resources are there to be used doesn't
meean you must use them, I generally restrict myself to request
parameter and cookie value fetching and dispense with the rest of the
response wrangling and code generation routines.  There are a number of
labels, etc. that you can use when loading the module to prevent
namespace pollution, et al.

You might also have a look at CGI::Lite others have mentioned it in the
past though I don't have experience with it and haven't looked at its
source to determine if it is autoloaded, etc. And there are lots of
CGI::* modules available on CPAN surely one of them suits your needs and
wants...

http://danconia.org