Octavian Rasnita wrote:

Hello all,

I have named index.html a file that in fact is a perl cgi program and I have
put it in the directory /cgi-bin/

It works fine if I access it using an URL like:

http://localhost/cgi-bin/index.html

The problem is that I want to access that program using:

http://localhost/cgi-bin/

But it gives me the 403 Access denied error.

I have put Options FollowSymLinks MultiViews Includes ExecCGI indexes for
that directory but it still doesn't choose automaticly the file index.html
from that directory.

I have tested but it doesn't choose even if I use another extension (like
.cgi) and if I set it to be a DirectoryIndex in httpd.conf.
Do you know if a certain file (like index.html) can be automaticly chosen by
the web server if rezides in a ScriptAlias directory (like /cgi-bin/)?

Or, are there any other secure solutions for what I want to do?

Thank you.

Teddy

Ted,

Find your httpd.conf file, mine was located in /usr/local/apache/conf - on a Linux build.

Then search on ScriptAlias - the first hit on my file was line number 566 that begins the comments on this 'feature'. In the default file my scripts were placed in the directory:

/usr/local/apache/cgi-bin

I left the code unaltered and just placed my scripts in that directory. I made the files executable for all classes of users, which I am not certain is necessary. By default all files in this directory are executed when requested rather than sent upon receiving a request (see comments in this file).

HTH