On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, Davis, Sean (NIH/NHGRI) wrote:

> Thanks for the reply.  To answer your questions, they will be
> presenting the same information to all users, but to pre-build will
> result in about 200,000 files (all on the order of 10-20KB, png [they
> include text]).  Storage isn't really an issue, I don't think, but
> just felt more elegant to compute on the fly.

It depends what you want to optimize for.

What is the overhead for generating 200k images on the fly?

How much disc space will it take to generate them all -- perhaps as an
offline batch routine -- and serve up the pre-generated file on demand?

If your server is already busy, generating everything on the fly might
be a lot of overhead; if you have the disc space for it, generating and
storing all these files might not be such a bad idea.

Certainly, making them in advance should get you around the problem of
the images sometimes not showing up -- or so I would hope...

--
Chris Devers