I'll chime in here....

Since you asked about CGI I'll discuss that and not mod perl, which, had you asked for info on, I'm sure Chris Devers would have set you away from here.

The Learning Perl book is a fine book but I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner specifically wanting to learn CGI (I do recommend it to anyone wanting to learn perl though ;-).

My humble advice is to go to cgi-resources and download scripts that are free, set them up and run them, then hack em up to suit your will. You'll learn a lot doing this. You'll get to see some good scripts, some bad scripts, and get a feel for how things might be done. There are many great resources that are free at places like perl.com and perl.org. Take advantage of all the free resources you can. When you run into a snag or have a question hit the message board archives and of course the perl docs and when you want some help come here and ask for it. I've bought a bunch of books at resale and discount bookstores for under $5 or $6 and even got a new copy of Learning Perl (second edition) for a friend for that price recently.

I have some chapters of books from "Sams Publishing" available at http://www.perlhelp.com/sams/index.html. Take some time to look them over. I think they're worth the price and they'll give you a good place to start too. I don't sell the books there, but I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding them if you find one you like.

If you have $100 to spend, the newest "Perl CD Bookshelf" is probably the best value there is.

Kindest Regards,

Bill Stephenson