I changed the topic of the e-mail. Sorry for the confusion.

Paweł Prędki pisze:
Hello,
I have a website that uses a php engine for news generation and, basically, most of the other pages. It uses a MySQL database to store the majority of the page contents (i.e. news).

However, I've written before that I've started using simple CGI scripts in Perl to make some activities automatic (i.e. statistics updates, standings updates - it's a sports-related website :) ).

At first, I used the Storable module and kept all the data in flat files but it generally is not the best solution so I moved to DBI.

Now, the thing is that the PHP scripts also connect to the database and, presumably, uphold the connection over the duration of the session so as not to disconnect and reconnect continually when the user browses the website.

My question is - is it possible to do the same thing with those CGI scripts? At the moment, each script 'requires' a module where a function is defined which returns a database handle upon connecting to the database. This is not an efficient solution and I would like to change that. There is no mod_perl running on the server but maybe there is a way to keep the connection via some Apache mechanisms. I'm not experienced with the server operation that much so forgive me if what I wrote is hogwash ;)
Cheers,
Pawl