Greg Jetter pisze:
On Tuesday 01 December 2009 2:52:38 pm Paweł Prędki wrote:
Hello,
I have a website that uses a php engine for news generation and,
basically, most of the other pages. It uses a MySQL database to store
the majority of the page contents (i.e. news).

However, I've written before that I've started using simple CGI scripts
in Perl to make some activities automatic (i.e. statistics updates,
standings updates - it's a sports-related website :) ).

At first, I used the Storable module and kept all the data in flat files
but it generally is not the best solution so I moved to DBI.

Now, the thing is that the PHP scripts also connect to the database and,
presumably, uphold the connection over the duration of the session so as
not to disconnect and reconnect continually when the user browses the
website.

My question is - is it possible to do the same thing with those CGI
scripts? At the moment, each script 'requires' a module where a function
is defined which returns a database handle upon connecting to the
database. This is not an efficient solution and I would like to change
that. There is no mod_perl running on the server but maybe there is a
way to keep the connection via some Apache mechanisms. I'm not
experienced with the server operation that much so forgive me if what I
wrote is hogwash ;)
Cheers,
Pawl

There is absolutely no reason to keep a connection to the database active once the query has finished and the results are fetched and processed , doing so only ties up system resources and memory. The default for Mysql in a un- altered server install is 50 concurrent connections. A web site can very easily surpass this if the connections are kept alive. The behavior of the DBI module returning a handle that you interact with is the most efficient use of resources . And I'm pretty sure if you research it you will find that PHP does the same thing as PHP is modled after Perl on many levels. Once the object is created it persist for the duration of the script or until it is destroyed with a call to disconnect. Or you risk getting "unable to connect , too many connections" from your MySql server. and if you have not programmed to handle the error , you will get silent failure with the page just hanging up never completing a read or write.
good luck

Greg

If that's the case then there is no problem. I thought that the database connection persists until the user navigates away from the site (there is some kind of an inactivity timeout). Taking into consideration that there are many sql queries from one single page consisting of many separate php 'modules' I would assume that each of the separate files doesn't connect to the db on its own but rather uses one connection.

I guess that it is possible for the first include in each php file to create a database connection which is then visible to all the submodules included in the same file. I need to look into the php mechanism more closely.

Thanks for your input.
Pawel