--- n6tadam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I wonder if someone could help me. I have been programming in bash
> for years
> now, but I have decided that I would like to use perl.
>
> My question is: "how do I tell perl to open a file for reading, do
> various commands, and then output those changes to a new file"???

lol -- you'll have to be more specific.
My best suggestion is that you just sit down with perldoc perlfunc and
look for commands like open() that look useful to the task at hand.

For examples, to open a file for reads,
 open F1, $file or die $!;
then read a line from it with
 $line = <F1>;

"do various commands" is horribly vague. Perl is often called a
"scripting language", but in though it's convenient code like bash,
it's probably functionally closer to C. It's a high level language,
complete with bit operators and anonymous memory allocation and complex
data structures. Assuming editing, though, try opening the file as
above, and just printing your results to STDOUT, which you can direct
as you like from the command line. i.e., once $line is edited to your
liking, just
  print $line;

then you can use standard bash command-line redirection of output and
error messages as you're already wont to do. =o)

Paul