I wrote ..

>Mike Stussie writes ..
>
>>Jason... thanks for responding... let me clear up a couple of things
>>and perhaps you can provide further guidance.
>>
>>The email broke the record into 2 lines, each record is actually only
>>one line of which the only field that concerns me is the
>>email address.
>>Here are the record examples again (shortened for demo purposes)
>>
>>FILE' 'A' -
>>PLWP4::Joe User::1 Main St::Anytown::MO::[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>

>>FILE' B' -
>>XY3G4::Susie User::1 Main St::Anytown::MO::[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>

>>The purpose is to add file 'B' to file 'A' but if the email address
>>from file 'B' already exists in file 'A' do not add it but print out
>>the record containing the duplicate email address.
>>
>>Thank you for any further guidance that can be provided.
>

>I mean seriously Mike ! .. are you telling me that you can't take what
>I've already given you so far and make the three changes needed to
>conform to your new data and printing requirements ??
>
>I really can't keep rewriting this code to suit you .. this is a help
>group - not a free coding centre

my apologies to you Mike and to the list .. the above came off a little over
the top .. and it was nothing to do with your post Mike (rather a personal
frustration that I was having with a colleague at the time)

shame on me for posting in that mood

Mike ..

what I meant to say was that it's very difficult to help you when you're not
showing me what you're trying in between the emails .. it seems like you're
just asking for the work to be done for you - rather than trying to learn
how to do it

if that's the case then I'm sorry - but I'm not really here to provide ready
solutions to problems

however .. if I've got it wrong then can you show me (and the group) what
your code is .. and what problem you're now having

sorry again

--
  jason king

  It is illegal to "annoy a bird" in any city park of Honolulu, Hawaii.
  - http://dumblaws.com/