From: "Chas. Owens" <chas.ow...@gmail.com>
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 13:38, Gunnar Hjalmarsson <nore...@gunnar.cc> wrote:
> snip
> >> Fully qualified names do not trip strict.  Which is a reason to avoid
> >> using them.  I once work at a place that wrote Perl 5 as if it were
> >> still Perl 4.  They had turned on strict because they had heard it was
> >> the right thing to do, but their response to it failing their scripts
> >> was to move to using only fully qualified variables.
> >
> > A few years ago I made that same mistake in a rather large Perl program, and
> > I believe that my mistake was caused by the fact that that was just what
> > Perl requested me to do.
> >
> > $ perl -Mstrict -e'$var=""'
> > Global symbol "$var" requires explicit package name at -e line 1.
> > Execution of -e aborted due to compilation errors.
> > $
> >
> > The wording of that error message isn't very well thought out. :(
> snip
>
> I believe the standard response is "patches are welcome." <grin>

Well, the first thing the message says is that the "$var" is a global
symbol. That's the first thing you should be thinking about. Do I
want the variable to be global? OK, if I wanted it to be global I
would add the explicit package, but I do not want it to be global.
What do I do?

Jenda
===== je...@krynicky.cz === http://Jenda.Krynicky.cz =====
        -- Terry Pratchett in Sourcery