2009/4/28 Gunnar Hjalmarsson <nore...@gunnar.cc>:
snip
>>> I believe the standard response is "patches are welcome." <grin>
>
> Are they? The number of open or "new" bugs at http://rt.perl.org/rt3/Public/
> makes me fear something else.
>
> ( I did submit a bug report a few weeks ago:
> http://rt.perl.org/rt3/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=63620 )
snip

Subscribe to p5p[1] and submit the patch there with an explanation of
why you think it is a good idea.  Be prepared to defend you position
though.  You may want to search though the archives first to see if
others have submitted similar patches in the past and what answers
they got.  Note, to get listened to you probably will need a patch,
just showing up hat-in-hands saying "please fix this warning" will
generally get you shot down with a "patches are welcome."

snip
>> Well, the first thing the message says is that the "$var" is a global
>> symbol. That's the first thing you should be thinking about. Do I want the
>> variable to be global? OK, if I wanted it to be global I would add the
>> explicit package, but I do not want it to be global. What do I do?
>
> That's easy to say when you know the difference. At the time I did not. I
> just wanted to turn on strict in order to prepare the program for mod_perl.
>
> The message wording may well mislead beginners IMNSHO. At least those who
> are not 'smarter' than me. ;-)
snip

I this is mostly a problem for people who have heard that they need to
use strict and who never looked into why (e.g. read the strict and my
perldocs).  The question is what error message will help these people?

1. http://lists.cpan.org/showlist.cgi?name=perl5-porters
--
Chas. Owens
wonkden.net