2009/12/6 Agnello George <agnello.dso...@gmail.com>:
> Hi

Welcome

> i am basically a  a system administrator, and i have just joined this new
> company where my entire team are a group pf developers + system admins and i
> am the only system admin with out programming knowledge . i know a little of
> shell scripting from my previous company and i thought shell scripting was
> king ... but having joined this company every one is using a lot of persl to
> do a lot of log parsing ... DB interaction and lot of cool hashes related
> stuff ... but last one year i am trying to learn this language but dont seem
> to get a hold of it . sometimes i fell shell-scripting a is a lot more
> better and easier .. but my aim is to learn perl scripting ... i mean how
> does one get a real hold of this language ... !!

I came to Perl because I am a sys-admin. I started with awk and sed
but, like your colleagues, found Perl far more far-reaching (ahh
awk2perl).  I started with moving and renaming files around the file
system, taking disk-space stats then later putting those stats on a
web interface. I'm still no expert. I regularly suffer from days where
I crave to know more and understanding, seems tantalizingly, out of
reach. You are going to have to leave the safety of shell-scripting
that you are comfortable with and force yourself to do the
un-comfortable and perform all your tasks with perl. You may even have
to do a little work at home at times :)
Good luck,
Dp.