On Monday 01 Mar 2010 19:31:15 Shawn H Corey wrote:
> Shlomi Fish wrote:
> > Well, Matt S. Trout shared his sentiments about "I cannot use CPAN" here:
> >
> > http://www.shadowcat.co.uk/blog/matt-s-trout/but-i-cant-use-cpan/
>
> Well, Matt is wrong.  You can't always use CPAN.  Yes, you can set it up
> so you can use it in development, but that doesn't mean you can do it in
> production.  I have worked in places where the policy was no software
> that's not approved by the sysadmins and approval of a single module may
> take 6 to 18 months.  They're even very strict about downloading a copy
> and cut & paste.  A foolish policy, kinda like, our horse will never get
> sick from bad grain if we never feed it but managers _always_ know best.
> ;)

Heh, tell me about it. Medium-to-large businesses shoot themselves in the foot
by incorporating these god-awful policies and becoming very non-agile. Then
they wonder why startups with much fewer resources can often easily out-
compete them. I read somewhere (Paul Graham I think, but I can no longer find
it) that as companies grow they adopt more and more rules and regulations
after learning from mistakes they made in the past. But these rules prevent a
lot of legitimate actions and in turn make the company much less agile. And
sometimes they impose these rules on start-ups that they buy.

It was later compared to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarbanes%E2%80%93Oxley_Act which killed the IPOs
in .us and was another regulation that was passed and which had unwanted side-
effects.

In any case, such antagonism towards using third-party code will make the
person working for such companies beyond help and doomed anyway you look at
it, so we can ignore it.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish