On Friday 05 Mar 2010 06:27:51 David Christensen wrote:
> ANJAN PURKAYASTHA wrote:
> > OK, suppose I develop a Perl application. I want to create an icon for
> > the program so that a user may download the program and start it in the
> > GUI by double-clicking on the icon.
> > How does one go about doing it?
>
> It sounds like 1) you want to put your Perl application into an
> installable package, and 2) when installed, the installer should create
> a shortcut on the desktop (?).
>

> I use Perl from the command-line, but have looked at Perl GUI stuff
> occasionally over the years.  The key will be finding the right tool(s)
> for your target operating system(s)/ desktop environment(s).
>
> For Windows, I'd suggest ActiveState Perl:
>
>       http://www.activestate.com/

Actually, Strawberry Perl is preferable over AS Perl:

http://strawberryperl.com/

<<<
A 100% Open Source Perl for Windows that is exactly the same
as Perl everywhere else. And with Perl 5.10.1 it gets even better!

> For Debian GNU/ Linux, I'd suggest the Apt package management system and
> the Gnome desktop:
>
>       http://wiki.debian.org/Apt
>
>       http://pkg-gnome.alioth.debian.org/

I can recommend what to do for Mandriva and other RPM-based distributions if
it helps.

Regards,

        Shlomi Fish