Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
"ANJAN" == ANJAN PURKAYASTHA <anjan.purkayas...@gmail.com> writes:

ANJAN> OK, suppose I develop a Perl application. I want to create an icon for
the
ANJAN> program so that a user may download the program and start it in the GUI
by
ANJAN> double-clicking on the icon.

Did I miss something?  Where did you say "windows" and not OSX or X11?

How did the rest of the thread know it was Windows?

You didn't miss anything and unless there were private e-mail exchanges, the rest of the thread didn't know, either. Seems the sequence of replies were:

- Steve somehow associated Harvard with Microsoft (no real reason behind it...)
- David and Shlomi gave several solutions:  Microsoft, Debian, and rpm-based
- Anjan seemed satisfied [implying that the OS was one of the ones covered]

And I guess it is not that unreasonable to think that such information is unimportant -- that maybe the solution is uniform across platforms. And unfortunately :-) Microsoft has the larger market share...so it seems like the default...

Ray