On Tue, 01 Feb 2011 18:00 -0500, "Uri Guttman" <u...@stemsystems.com>
wrote:

>   RK> With all due respect Uri, you're not being particularly friendly.
>   RK>  This is a list for beginners, people are going to say things you
>   RK> think are stupid from time to time, but you should either stay
>   RK> your hand or be more constructive.  Looking at your last few
>   RK> posts the quoted text below isn't an isolated case...
>   RK> Speaking as someone who was once a beginner himself ( ;-) ),
>   RK> please be a tad more constructive and a bit more warm and
>   RK> friendly :)
>

>   RK> that makes very little sense. what if the program is running on a
>   RK> box with no net connection? there are many other reasons why that
>   RK> is a silly thing to desire. i will leave it as an exercise to list
>   RK> them.
>
> if you think that was unfriendly, you need to see more stuff on the
> net. the worst i said was silly. saying not making sense is factual
> IMNSHO. note that the poster didn't reply as to why they wanted this
> with some concrete reasons. among the reasons it is a silly idea is that
> module will have dependencies, they will need c compilers if xs is used,
> they ask questions of the user during installation, etc. none of those
> would be nice to happen at run time as the OP wants.
>
> sometimes it is better to slap a newbie on the wrist than to coddle them
> with sweet nothings. this is one case where the idea needs to be shot
> down quickly before it can fester and grow.
>
> uri

As a teacher, I'd disagree...My experience leads me to believe bluntly
shooting down beginners discourages them.  I wouldn't be surprised if
the poster has left the list and perhaps even gone as far as leaving
perl well alone, depending on his current level of ability.

I'm not saying that what he said made sense, I do agree with what you
said in general.  But you really shouldn't shoot beginners down like
that, as I said, it generally discourages them.

Anything else should probably be discussed off list as I'd agree this is
very off-topic.

Robin

--
  Robin Kenyon