  RK> As a teacher, I'd disagree...My experience leads me to believe bluntly
  RK> shooting down beginners discourages them.  I wouldn't be surprised if
  RK> the poster has left the list and perhaps even gone as far as leaving
  RK> perl well alone, depending on his current level of ability.

i teach perl as well. when i see someone going down a rabbit hole it is
important to stop that before it gets too far. if they leave the list or
perl, they won't be happy in any other language or forum since that is
how computers work. they are unforgiving and those with thin skins who
can't take seeing error messages (from humans OR computers) will likley
move on. programming isn't for everyone however easy it may seem on the
surface.

i give out a general programming quiz to students. one pair of the
questions is why is programming easy? and why is programming hard?

let's see your answers. :)

uri

--
Uri Guttman  ------  u...@stemsystems.com  --------  http://www.sysarch.com --