On Mar 7, 2011 11:37 AM, "Brandon McCaig" <bamcc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 5:22 AM, Ramprasad Prasad <ramprasad...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > 1) Create a hash of aliases for frequently used domains and their typos
> > For eg
> >  gmaill.com => gmail.com
> >  hotmal.com =>  hotmail.com
> > etc
> >
> > when I get the email id  with these typos , I will prompt the user for
> > correction  , If accepted then thats fine
>
> It's difficult to predict every possible typo that a user is going to
> make. They could have their hands off-by-one and type something
> completely different. Perhaps you could instead just store a list of
> common mail domains and warn the user to double-check if their E-mail
> address doesn't match any of them.

Yeah. However if he's going to go that far, he might as well just check for
an mx record for the domain.

Also, that hash is going to get unwieldy pretty quick. If there's no db
already, might want to use sqlite.

Heh, too bad he didn't like my capcha of the email address for confirmation.
I kinda think that was one of my better ideas. :)