On Sep 11, 2012, at 11:45 PM, Shlomi Fish <shlo...@shlomifish.org> wrote:

> Hi pangj,
>
> On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 12:28:54 +0800
> pangj <pa...@riseup.net> wrote:
>
>> Have been coding perl with VIM always.
>>

> Good for you, but the original question was about Emacs and it is a legitimate
> question.

I had no idea how popular Vi/Vim was until I recently joined this company.
Emacs wasn't even installed!  I made a mighty effort to switch to Vim after 18
years of using Emacs, but after two months I was still making the same mistakes
- the "zen" of Vi[m] just never really dawned.

(It once took me six weeks of programming in C, cursing it the whole way, to
realize what a waste the previous 14 years of coding assembler had been.  Same
for switching to Unix from MVS.  I figure two months is enough to unlearn just
about anything.)

But, yes, as Shlomi points out, I *am* looking for suggestions from experienced
Perl programmers who use - and customize - Emacs :-)