Another thing to look out for in PDE is a line like:

use 5.14;

It appears that newer versions of perl will interpret this as version 5.140,
not 5.14. You need a zero, like so:

use 5.014;

Then it will interpret it properly.

>From my ~/.emacs:

(defalias 'perl-mode 'cperl-mode)
(setq cperl-hairy t)
(setq cperl-auto-newline t)

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d/pde/")
(load "pde-load")

Of course, I have the PDE stuff in ~/.emacs.d/pde. C-c r will run your code, as
I recall if you use git C-x v v will check in your changes. C-c C-t C-b IIRC
will run perltidy on the entire buffer.

I recommend editing the templates that PDE uses with vi, it has stuff that
emacs interprets. Created something of a nuisance when I tried using emacs to
edit them.

--------
Paul Anderson -- VE3HOP